Saturday, August 4, 2012

Quo Vadis?

Or, translated, " Whither Goest Thou "? The answer is I don't have a clue. Over the last year I have gotten away from the basics and tried to anticipate movements in the markets. This has taught me I may well be the greatest contrarian indicator of all time. Every time I am sure the market is going to go one way it goes the other. No more. I am swearing off CNBC, I will no longer read anything about the economy on the internet and I am going to revert to what has worked the best for me over the years. My market research from here on out is going to be sitting down on a Saturday morning and looking at the moving average charts and moving my funds around based on what they say. I have watched or participated in the markets for over 3 decades now and this is the most manipulated market of all time. The Fed has been propping up the markets in one way or another for decades now and the old line about not fighting the fed is very true. So much for all that. I either got stopped out or took profits on the few positions I had with a very small profit so from here on out I'll consider this as the beginning. I'll post a few charts along with some short comments and we'll see where this leads us. The first chart is of DDM. DDM is a chart that follows the Dow. As you can see it is well above the moving average line and has been for some time.

The next chart is DIG which tracks the oil and gas industry. It also has been doing well lately.

The third chart tracks the 20 year treasury and it is pretty much in bubble territory. I can't see any way it can go higher which means it will probably do exactly that.
Notice how on each of these charts that if you had bought when they first broke out above the moving average line how nicely you would be in the black. That's all for this week, hopefull there will be more excinting news to ponder by next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment